Our Baillie Gifford Schools Programme may be packed full of exciting hands-on events for your pupils to enjoy but we also have lots on offer for teachers too!
Our Career-long Professional Learning events offer an enjoyable hour (or more) of top tips to take back to the classroom. They aim to be as interactive and practical as possible so that you leave with new skills and tools that you can apply in an everyday school setting.
We welcome individual teachers, classroom support assistants and librarians, or larger groups looking to use the CPL events as full team staff training.
This year, our events include:
- Building on Author Events (17 Aug) – tips for making the most of a class visit to the Book Festival or an author visit to your school
- The Word Scientific (21 Aug) – making scientific concepts accessible to young readers
- Inspiring and Supporting Young Writers (23 Aug) – novel ways to engage pupils in creative writing
- Peer Pressure and the Power of Social Media (24 Aug) – strategies for helping teenagers deal with the challenges of being constantly connected
- Reading for Pleasure (25 Aug) – an introduction to the CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shadowing scheme which encourages young people to read for pleasure
- Picture Books as Philosophy Hooks (28 Aug) – using picture books to introduce philosophy to children
More information and dates for the CPL events can be found here: https://learning.edbookfest.co.uk/cpl/
Tickets for CPL events cost £8.00 (£6.00 concessions) and can be booked online or by using the CPL booking form on p.44 of the Schools brochure. Tickets can also be purchased by phone from Tuesday 20 June by calling the Box Office on 0845 373 5888.
All CPL events take place in the Book Festival village, located in the West End of Edinburgh, easily accessible by public transport from across the city and situated within walking distance of Princes Street, Waverley and Haymarket train stations and Edinburgh bus station.
If you would like more information on any of our CPL events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to welcoming you to the Book Festival this summer!